Students are the future of the SPMA and we want to do more for you. In October this year we will be launching the SPMA PhD Group, a place within the Society for members who are current research students to connect with other students around the world, while gaining skills useful for postdoctoral employment.
Joining the SPMA PhD Group, we will offer over the course of your PhD experience in conference organisation and session chairing, book reviewing, publication and peer review. The Group’s activities will also include workshop sessions on topics including adapting your thesis for publication, turning research into teaching, specialist subjects and more. We will also organise social and networking events for the Group, including opportunities to present on your research at work-in-progress seminars and to receive feedback from others, and events with other related societies.
The SPMA PhD Group programme for 2021-22 is:
- November – online student welcome event with key SPMA officers
- December – SOCIETY EVENT – Geoff Egan lecture 2021
- January – Workshop: Planning and Managing Fieldwork with David Petts on excavation, Nadika Nadja on photography, and Nana Pierre on public engagement.
- February – Combined event with AIA Young Members
- March – International Research with Chryshane Mendis, Alice Samson and Natascha Mehler: a chance to present your research and to discuss the practicalities and ethics of being an international researcher
- April – SPMA CONGRESS – opportunities to assist with organisation and session chairing
- May – Post-Med ArchSci evening with Blessing Chidimuro – present your research and discuss current post-medieval archaeological science
- June – Workshop: Post-Med Archaeology Outside Academia with Laura Hampden, Raksha Dave and James Dixon
- July – End of year social and planning next year’s programme
Members from anywhere in the world are welcome to join the SPMA PhD Group and we look forward to meeting you soon.
To join the group, email the SPMA Membership Secretary at email@example.com